A March 2011 Frost & Sullivan report points to data growth as a key issue facing IT leaders. IT leaders must address the growing demand for enterprise data storage in addition to regulatory compliance and good practice data retention and backup programs. The Frost & Sullivan report indicates that enterprise data storage needs are increasing by 40 percent per year. Check out these data storage statistics from sources listed in the Frost & Sullivan report:
- Worldwide data is doubling every 18-36 months
- By 2013 the amount of data flowing over the Internet will exceed 667 Petabytes annually
- 87 percent of enterprises store more than one Terabyte of data and 29 percent store more than 100 TB
To help you keep up with the explosion of data, the Datatrend data storage solution experts offer their Top 4 Data Storage Solutions:
- IBM Storwize® V7000 Unified – One of our mid-range market favorites for its versatility in virtual environments, the V7000 enables block and file storage in a single system. An active cloud engine reduces storage costs by incorporating policy-based management of files with tiered storage. We also like that the V7000 automatically migrates data between storage tiers based on real-time usage. In our opinion, it’s one of the most advanced, yet easy-to-manage data storage options.
- IBM XIV Storage System – This high-end server made our list for its performance with ultra-demanding and diverse workloads. We’ve found that the XIV data storage solution gives database administrators high reliability and performance at a low overall total cost of ownership (TCO). In fact, according to an IBM case study, the XIV storage system reduced TCO by as much as 69 percent. We think the XIV Gen3 version is an ideal solution for enterprise storage applications including business intelligence, archiving large email setups, data warehousing and online transaction processing (OLTP) workloads.
- IBM System Storage DS8000 – Given the complexity of today’s data centers, the IBM System Storage DS8000 is our pick for a broad scope of storage workloads. Features including automated storage tiering, automated quality of services management, broad server support and outstanding scalability help optimize storage performance, application workload management and workload performance. We like the DS8000 because it has the proven reliability and performance you’d expect from an IBM data storage solution, but with automation updates.
- IBM System Storage DS3500 Express – Robust, yet easy to use, the DS3500 Express is our top pick for mid-range, cost-sensitive businesses. And its mid-range performance at entry-level prices isn’t the only benefit. We consider it to be quite powerful from a storage management perspective, due to its built-in storage management software.
While hardware represents part of the solution to the growing data epidemic, it goes a long way toward improving efficiency and application performance. Learn how the Datatrend data storage solutions experts can keep you ahead of the growing data curve.