How we collect and use your personal information
Personal information is any information that relates, and can be used, to identify a person. Datatrend may collect and use personal information from its customers, website users, job applicants, and others. As we are primarily a B2B company, the type of personal information Datatrend collects typically is limited to the information that can be found on a business card—name, address, email address, employer, position, and telephone number. The types of personal information that Datatrend collects and how it is used can generally be categorized as follows:
- Products, services, and related information – Datatrend offers products and services to its customers, and information relating to those products and services may be made available—either directly or upon request—through our website. In purchasing products or services, or requesting related information, we may request that you provide your first and last names, email addresses, phone numbers, country/location, state or province, and physical address (of individual or employer). Again, as we primarily operate in a B2B capacity, we may ask for non-personal information relating to your employer and its business. We use this information to provide you with the requested products or services, information related to those products or services, ongoing support for the products or services, ensure we receive payment (as appropriate), and provide you with information on other products or services that may be of interest to you or your company. Please note that some of our products or services may need to be integrated with the products or services of other companies, in which situation we may be required to share your personal information with those other companies.
- Transactions – In connection with the sale of products and services, Datatrend may collect and process information regarding what products and services you (or your employer) purchased and details relating to that transaction, including payment information. This information is necessary to ensure that your transaction is processed appropriately, to understand what you and your company have purchased from us historically, and to ensure that we can inform you of other product or services that may be of interest.
- Communications – If you choose to correspond with us by email, phone, mail, or any other form of communication, we may keep copies of your correspondence and the information contained in it. We may use that information to respond to your request, provide you with information on other products, services, or events, and keep a record of any requests, complaints, or inquiries you may have made. In addition, some of the features on our website may allow you to communicate with us in an online form. If your communication requests a response from us, we may send you a response via email, which could contain your personal information.
- Marketing –With your consent, we may contact you periodically by email, mail, or telephone to provide you with information regarding products or services that may be of interest to you or your company. Much of the personal information we collect and use for marketing purposes relates to the individual employees of our clients and other companies with which we have an existing relationship. We may obtain personal information from other sources, including public content on social media websites, in connection with our marketing efforts. We track your marketing preferences and any other preferences you have expressed regarding receiving communications from us, and will respect those preferences.
- Surveys and feedback – To help us serve you better, Datatrend (or one of its partners) may request that you respond to a survey. These surveys gather feedback regarding your preferences and experience with Datatrend’s solutions. You are under no obligation to respond to the surveys.
- Partner-provided information – Some of our partners may engage with their customers regarding Datatrend’s solutions. In doing so, they may provide information to Datatrend regarding potential customers for specific solutions. The information provided to Datatrend regarding those potential clients is typically limited to profile information about the companies and products they use, as well as the name, phone number, and/or email address for individuals to contact at the companies.
- Job applications – If you apply for a position with us, we request and use certain personal information necessary for the application process, including name, address, phone number, email address, qualifications, and work history. This information is used to process and evaluate the application, communicate with the applicant, or to fulfill legal or regulatory requirements, if necessary. If you do not provide the information, we may not be able to process your application.
- Event registration – From time to time, Datatrend may offer access to webinars and other events. In connection with the registration for those events, Datatrend may collect the types of personal information identified above, as well as information on what events you attended and any feedback you provided about the events. We do so in order to ensure that you are registered for the event and identify other, similar events that may be of interest to you in the future. Some of our events may be co-sponsored and, accordingly, we may share copies of your personal information with our co-sponsors.
- Other uses – We may also use your personal information for the following purposes: (1) for recordkeeping and analytical purposes; (2) to research, develop, and improve our products and services; (3) to provide customer support and to verify any claims or requests for such services; (4) for our own internal marketing purposes and to help us improve our website; (5) to enforce our Terms of Service or the terms of any contract with you; and (6) to protect our rights or property, to protect someone’s health, safety, or welfare, and to comply with a law or regulation, court order, or other legal process.
We may also collect, use, and share “aggregated data”—such as statistical or demographic data—for any purpose. Aggregated data is not considered personal information, as it does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
Information we gather when you visit our websites
Do we share or disclose your personal information?
In certain circumstances, yes. We may share your personal information with third parties as follows:
- With third parties that provide necessary services for our business, but only for the purpose of those services. For example, we share your information with our ERP, website service, and cloud hosting providers as necessary for the services they provide. For a description of our partners, please see the “Partners” tab on our website.
- With our email service provider, who enables us to communicate with you and our other contacts.
- With our cloud-hosted server provider(s), who enables us to store, retain, and otherwise process necessary information.
- With our customer relationship management platform, which enables our sales, service, and marketing efforts.
- With companies with whom we partner on marketing materials or events (as discussed above).
- With any other affiliated companies (parents, subsidiaries, etc.) or with which we have a strategic relationship.
- With other companies that perform work necessary for Datatrend to provide its products and services.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
We reserve the right to share your personal information to a successor or acquiring company, in the event all or part of our business is sold, merged, dissolved, acquired, reorganized, or subject to a similar transaction. We also reserve the right to share your personal information as necessary to comply with a subpoena or similar investigative demand, court order, request for cooperation from law enforcement or another government entity, as well as to exercise our legal rights, defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law.
Your choices about collection and use of your information
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our website, request information from us, purchase products or services, ask questions, or initiate other transactions on our website. You can also set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to accept or reject it. And you can opt out of receiving marketing emails from us by clicking the unsubscribe link in those emails.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, technical, and administrative measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. No system, however, can be completely secure. We are not responsible or liable for the illegal acts by third parties (such as hacking). If you have questions about the security of your personal information, please contact us at Privacy@Datatrend.com].
Links to other websites
Our websites are general audience websites and are not directed at, or intended for use by, children under 13. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
International data transfers
Datatrend is headquartered in Minnesota and may share or transfer information between its office and employees in the United States. If your information was collected outside the United States, it may be necessary to transfer your information to the United States for processing in order to provide you with requested products and services. You understand and agree that information you provide may be sent to and processed by Datatrend in the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may not be the same as the data protection laws in your home country. Further, in appropriate circumstances, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission that afford personal data certain protections similar to that afforded by E.U. law. Please contact us at [Privacy@Datatrend.com] if you want further information on the mechanisms used when transferring your personal data out of the country where it was collected.
Accessing and updating your information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. If you change your email address, or if any of the other information we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date, please contact us at Privacy@Datatrend.com to update your information. If you are located in certain jurisdictions, you have the right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you or other rights as set forth in applicable law. We reserve the right to limit or deny access to personal information where providing such access is unreasonably burdensome or expensive under the circumstances or as otherwise permitted by applicable law. E.U. data subjects’ rights under the GDPR are explained below.
GDPR and European data subjects’ rights
The General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) is a privacy law that recently became effective in the European Union. Datatrend does not typically collect personal information directly from individuals in the E.U. and, as such, is not a controller under the GDPR. To the extent Datatrend processes personal information relating to individuals in the E.U., it does so at the direction of a Datatrend customer and is a processor under the GDPR. The GDPR provides individuals in the E.U. with certain rights pertaining to their personal information. Specifically, if you are located in the E.U., you may request information regarding whether Datatrend is processing your personal information, its purposes in doing so, how it obtained your personal information (if you did not provide it directly), who it may have been shared with, and how long it will be retained. Further, you have the right to request that Datatrend correct your personal information if it is inaccurate and, in certain circumstances, may ask Datatrend to erase the information or stop using it. Finally, subject to certain limitations and when feasible, you may request that Datatrend provide you with a copy of your personal information or transfer it to another entity. If Datatrend denies this request, it will provide any explanation why. Otherwise, to the extent feasible, it will provide you with a copy of your personal information within a reasonable amount of time. Additional information on your rights under the GDPR is available from the U.K.’s Information Commissioner’s Office. If you are located in the E.U. and have a concern about Datatrend’s processing of your information, you may have the right to make a complaint to the appropriate data protection authority in the E.U. Please note, as indicated previously, your personal information may be transferred to servers in the United States. Datatrend only transfers your personal information with your consent, to perform a contract with or obligation to you or your employer, or to fulfill a compelling legitimate interest that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms. Because the United States has not received a finding of “adequacy” from the E.U., and except as set forth above, Datatrend relies on derogations set forth in Article 49 of the GDPR to transfer your information to the United States.
Purposes for processing data under GDPR
As discussed above, Datatrend processes your data to provide you with the goods, services, or information you have purchased or requested from us, as well as for ongoing support, marketing purposes, and review job applications and make decision on hiring. Under the GDPR we are required to have a lawful basis for these types of processing activities. Most of the time, that lawful basis will either be to (1) perform a contractual obligation, (2) fulfill a legitimate business interests, (3) comply with a legal obligation, or (4) conduct processing to which you have specifically consented. For example, Datatrend needs to process your personal data in order to fulfill an order for products or services for you or your employer. In that circumstance, our lawful basis for processing your personal information will be to perform the contractual or pre-contractual obligation with you or your employer. Likewise, it may be necessary to our legitimate business interests for us to use the personal information in order to collect and recover money we are owed. We may also use your personal information to provide you with information on products and services, or otherwise market to you, which is necessary for our legitimate business interest in growing and developing our products, services, and business.
Data storage and retention
Datatrend stores your personal information on its servers and on the servers of cloud-based service providers with whom we have contracts. Those servers are located in the United States. Datatrend retains the personal information for as long as necessary to service our corporate clients and fulfill your requests. If you have questions regarding our retention of your information, please contact the representative identified at the end of this Policy.
Changes to the Policy
As indicated above, we may make changes to this Policy from time to time. We will update the effective date at the top of this webpage and post an updated Policy for any changes we make. We may send periodic reminders regarding our Policy or any changes there to, but we recommend that you review our Policy frequently to learn of any new privacy practices or changes to our policy. Your continued use of this Website constitutes acceptance of any changes to this policy.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this Policy or our information-handling practices, please contact us at Privacy@Datatrend.com or contact our representative, Michael Klement, at 952.563.2126.